Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Rally

From SULLIVAN

If the ghost of Richard Nixon will allow me, Stewart and Colbert have sensed a silent plurality, alienated by both parties, still hoping for Obama's success, and yet unwilling to worship any politician or even take themselves too seriously for fear of falling into the same foul-smelling bullshit that already covers far too much of our political culture.

Now I'm sorry I couldn't go yesterday.

One of these days I'll take the time to write a lot more about Stewart/Colbert. Any way you look at it, it might be the most important American phenomenon of the last decade. Stewart is as integral to how we grew up as Dylan was to our parents and W H Auden was to our grandparents. It doesn't mean everything he does is wonderful (though few can deny the majority certainly is), but it does mean that he articulates something within most people we know: an attitude, a longing, even an archetype, that is bigger than his message, and maybe even a little antithetical to it.

In the meantime, I wanna watch some random crap on youtube before the Ambien kicks in. I know Stewart would approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment